Many of us worry or get anxiety that the upcoming Holidays will blow our healthy lifestyle and we'll fall off track. I want you to know that does not have to be the case. You will be able to enjoy a wonderful, guilt-free holiday and still maintain your healthful lifestyle if you follow these tips. Below is my list of the top things you can do to help stay on track during Thanksgiving or any other special day that involves a feast!
1. Drink 1 liter of water upon rising. This ensures that your hydration is starting off on the right foot during your busy day. A large amount of water will also help tame a hungry tummy.
2. Eat breakfast. Don't skip meals to hold out for the big one. This can throw off your digestion, insulin levels, and even hormones. Have a decent breakfast full of vegetables and proteins.
3. Besides "The Big Meal", keep all other meals low in carbs and low in fats. Save those carb and fat macros for your main meal because we all know we'll be going overboard!
4. Take your usual daily supplements. On "treat meal" days I make sure that I am taking my probiotic and will sometimes add some dandelion tea with lemon to aid fluid loss and maybe some apple cider vinegar to promote digestion. If I'm feeling really fancy I'll also drink some aloe vera throughout the day to soothe my digestive tract.
5. When you're eating your treat meal it is important to chew slowly for a few reasons. Chewing slowly will produce less gas and bloating which means you'll feel more comfortable overall. It's also important to savor this food. Really enjoy eating it. This seems more satisfying.
6. On that last note; be mindful of what you're eating. Make sure you are feeding your body things that you reeeeallly want to eat. Don't just mindlessly eat everything in sight. Pick the things you really love and enjoy and go ahead and eat them until you're satisfied, not overly stuffed.
7. Drink a total of 3-4 liters of water throughout the day. This will help you feel fuller longer and will also promote better digestion.
8. Take a 15-20 minute walk after eating your big meal. This will help promote digestion and will get things "moving"..internally and externally. Movement after an indulgent meal can also help chase away any anxiety you may have about what you just ate. It can help you achieve a sense of accomplishment.
9. Enjoy yourself! Take this day to really treat yourself and enjoy some foods you've been holding back from. One day is NOT going to ruin your progress. Enjoy treating yourself and relax with friends and family.
10. Jump right back on board the next day. Use those abundant carbs to get an amazing workout in the next day. Get back on track with macros, exercise, and healthy habits. If you still have junk food in the house that is too tempting, send it home with family or donate it to a local shelter. Get right back on track-Don't be a turkey!
I hope this list helps you stay on track during your Holidays! If you have any additional healthy tips please feel free to share them!
Yours in health,